So here goes the first post on our new website.

A brief introduction to who we are and what we do seems to be a logical way to start:

Iulian and me (Pavel) are two guys that are a bit obsessed with pretty much anything in the technological field, particularly graphics, 3D and light light light.

We have started our 3D scanning adventure about one and a half years ago with around a hundred ceramic plates to scan. One somewhat ignorant approach provided us with reasonable results, which would be enough for the purpose of this endeavor – sell bloody plates and pots! Not long after, we have realized that there is no market for these products whatsoever, no matter how nice is the 3D presentation.

So why not start a 3D scanning company, right? Even selling pots is more probable, but scanning is just so much more fun 🙂

These blog posts would have a purpose of showcasing out work as well as describing our experiments and results. It would have more of a technical direction, but we will do our best to keep it readable. Topics that are close to our workflows and our hearts might include:

  • Hight end photography gear: anything from DSLRs, lenses, filters, lights all the way to using satellite dishes as cross-polarized reflectors.
  • Scanning rigs (Rigsters?): we have built many automatised experimental rigs for cameras and currently finalizing out masterpiece. We couldn’t afford to go out and buy a rig, so we had to dig electronics, mechanics, robotics, computer vision, etc. to make things move the way we and our software like.
  • Software applications: Reality Capture, Zbrush, 3Ds Max, Substance family, and much more. We keep improving our pipelines and continuously optimizing them (things move fast!).
  • Other things could include: HDRI, Cross-polarization, Processing procedures, funny experiments with Light Light and Light. And yes, it’s all about the light.

After half a year of hard work on our camera rig, last weekend we had a blast to scan with it for the first time! Software still has a long way to go, so it still was a bit of a manual work. But it’s getting very close… and first results are not terrible: